Glass Under My Skin

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Comics I Bought: May 31, 2007

Only one regular comic for me this week:

  • Usagi Yojimbo - 103. Always reliable. Always good.

  • Plus I picked up a hardcover collected edition:

  • Conan: "Hall of the Dead and Other Stories"

  • Conan is one of those books that I've decided to pick up collected instead of issue by issue. It reprints seven issues of the regular series and 7 x $3 per issue is $21. The hardcover retails for $24.99 minus a discount from my local shop brings it to about the same price. I'll take the hardcover in this case.

    Some comics I want month to month and some not. Deciding which is which isn't always easy. You run the risk of growing disinterested if you wait for the collected version and never actually picking it up. Some comics I like so much that I pick up both versions. I should make a list of those one day.

    Week Twenty One of my reviews of recent DC Comics.

    Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes 23, 27-28 - Three kinda random issues of this series that are only a couple of pieces in a couple of stories. But it left me wanting more and that's a good thing.

    The first issue has to do with Supergirl and her lack of a clear memory and issues 27-28 were about the Legion's home base planet (Earth) being attacked by another planet. Nothing to make you change the way you think about the world but fun stuff.

    The art (Kitson and Gray) was quite nice as was the writing. The "Earth is being attacked" plot was fairly typical and the turning point a little predictable but well executed. I'm a fan of well executed. Check it out for some super hero action.

    Wetworks V2. 2, 4, 6-7 - Another gaggle of random issues to read. I read a few issues of Wetworks V1 back in the day and remember some guys in liquid golden metal suits and a war between vampires and werewolves. It never grabbed me. But here we are with volume two. Back with vampires, werewolves, and one guy in a golden suit of armor.

    I liked the story. It is thick with plots and characters. It was a little hard to follow being that I only had four issues out of seven but I managed to catch on by issue seven. We got vampires and werewolves from another dimension now. This book is filled with sci-fi supernatural stuff.

    The art is only okay though. Issues 2 and 4 are inked like a normal comic but issue six is digitally inked and not as good as the previous ones. Then we get a new penciler for issue seven. His drawing isn't as interesting as in the earlier issues but his storytelling is better.

    So if you like sci-fi, military, supernatural stories that are filled with violence and a few intriguing ideas check out Wetworks. It could stand some improvement but it's better than volume 1.

    Now I need to go find some complete stories to read.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



    << Home